Stay out of the Weeds
Have you ever been going down the road, thinking you are doing well and paying attention then suddenly you heard rump rump letting you know that you had strayed from your lane. Or even worse before rumble strips you hit a few weeds on the side of the rod. There are many reasons that this happen but most of it is due to distractions. Distractions on the road can stem from, texting, eating, being sleepy,day dreaming, and fumbling with the radio. I look forward to the technology that will help us avoid the consequences of these distraction. Things like lane assist, proximity braking are just two of the emerging technologies that will no doubt save millions of lives every year.
We would do well to have technology save us from ourselves. Do you find yourself intending to start on something that you thought needed doing and then an hour later finding that you did everything other than the task at hand. Here are some suggestions to help you stay out of the weeds.
- Close down browsers/tabs that you find entertaining.
- Don’t read email first thing.
- I’ve heard that email is someone else’s agenda for your time and money. Plan your email time out and use GTD principles on processing it.
- Plan out your day the night before.
- Identify the three most important things to be done that next day. Identify one of them as your frog. Frog?!? Mark Twain is credited with saying to identify your frog for the day. Eat it first and the rest of the day will seem easier in comparison. Cautionary note. Don’t tel yoour significant other that they are your frog of the day. Even though it may be the most important thing to do today, it i not a favorable comparison and you will have a lot of back tracking to do to get out of trouble!
- If your boss tries to pile something else on you, tell them what you are working on and if they want you to dump that on work on this new project. It will put the burden on them to see if you should change course.
- Try a system like the pomodoro method to help you focus.
- Invest in some sound canceling headphones. What a difference it make to block out noises around you! Here are the ones I like:
height=”150″ frameborder=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no”>
- Distraction are all around us and will take us off track without warning. Don’t beat yourself, just realize what distracts you and come up with effective strategies to help you get on top of them or even eliminate them. Distraction are my biggest enemy to getting the things done that I want, These suggestions have helped me and I hope thy help you too.
Hang in there and I will too