I didn’t get much of a chance to rest from my King’s Peak trip. I have the Hobble Creek Half Marathon this weekend. This last week of training included my last long run.
I did a 12 miler on Saturday. It was really a different type of long run for me. The first few miles were rough. It could have been due to many factors including, 5 hours of sleep, not the best meal the night before, and being a little wore out. But I made it! It helps being dropped off 12 miles away from home and the only way to get back is to put the miles in. 🙂 The middle part of the run went well. Even though the last few were a little rough as well, I was getting close to home and knew I could make it. I have found that these long runs are not just important to build up mileage, but also to train how to do nutrition and hydration as well.
This week is a taper week. It came at a good time. I need to back off a bit anyway. The weeks of training and a ton of other stuff going on has wore me down a bit. I felt pretty good on my four miler today. I tried not to push too hard and just kept it at a pace that was comfortable. As a result I was able to finish strong which is always a good feeling.
Now on to another important subject. Now that I have completed my Three Peak Challenge, I need to have a new goal. I have given this much thought. I have toyed with the idea of doing a marathon. But with training for two half-marathons, I realize that I am pushing myself running longer distances at the weight that I am at now. If I want to complete a marathon, I need to get down to my goal weight. So here is my next challenge and the steps I need to take to get there.
Goal – Complete the Ogden Marathon on May 19th, 2011.
Steps I need to take to make it happen.
- Get to 175 lbs by December 31st. If I am not, I cannot run in the marathon.
- Sign up for the Marathon. If I am on track on November 1st weight wise, I will sign up. If not, I can’t sign up until I am on track.
- Start 18 week training on January 16th.
- Track everything that I eat from September – December. This has worked every time I have done it in the past. It’s a bit of a pain, but it works.
- Stay accountable on this blog. I will post my weight and progress each week until I hit by weight goal and am signed up for the marathon.